9.03.2007

Bush's tears

In Robert Draper's book Dead Certain: The Presidency of George Bush, set to come out tomorrow, there are plenty of revelations about the commander in chief. For instance, he admits it was a mistake to disband Saddam's army in Iraq, and he forgets that it was the administrator he appointed to lead Iraq, L. Paul Bremer, who forced the dissolution.

When Draper said Bush doesn't have a shoulder to cry on, Bush answered, "Of course I do, I’ve got God’s shoulder to cry on, and I cry a lot... I’ll bet I’ve shed more tears than you can count as president.” Draper assumed he was referring to American casualties in Iraq, now approaching 3,800. Bush has reportedly not attended a funeral for a service member killed in Iraq.

Pictured: Camille Gage, Untitled, from War, Redacted series, 2005; Acrylic on digital fine art print, now on view at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts

No comments: