6.17.2005

Saluting W: A friend living just blocks from the site of George W. Bush's invitation-only "forum" on Medicare in Maple Grove, Minn., this morning just emailed about her encounter with the president:
The police shut down all the streets by my house and the sheriff helicopters flew over my house, so I walked to the end of my block ... And watched the 38 car motorcade go on by.

[Bush] himself waved to me out of the window of his limo... I was the only one standing there. Weird. I wish I had made a protest sign, but then again the police probably wouldn't have let me stand there if I had.
But did she wave back?
I was sort of stunned. I didn't wave, I had Celeste's leash in one hand and a bag of dog poo in the other. Not how I imagined meeting the president.
Yet somehow fitting.

No comments: