6.18.2011

Buren backs out of Beijing show in solidarity with Ai Weiwei

A week after sculptor Anish Kapoor announced he was backing out of a show of his work in Beijing over Ai Weiwei's continuing detention, French sculptor Daniel Buren is doing the same: He said Friday that he's canceling his exhibition at the Ullens Centre for Contemporary Art in Beijing in "solidarity" with Ai.

"I don't think it is possible to do nothing," he told AFP. "First I signed petitions to free Ai Weiwei. But as he is still being held, virtually in secret, after two months I think the best solution is for me to pull out ... If I carried on without doing anything, it would be a mistake that I would regret for the rest of my life."

"When freedom of expression is flouted in a country, what value can be given to the works of artists who are still allowed to express themselves? That compromises our own work," he said.

The show was scheduled to open in mid-July.

Photo: Wikipedia

No comments: