Jason Lazarus, Untitled (Summer 2010)
• "The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) won three critical exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) anticircumvention provisions today, carving out new legal protections for consumers who modify their cell phones and artists who remix videos — people who, until now, could have been sued for their non-infringing or fair use activities." Via Hyperallergic Labs.
• Chicago exhibition: Sense & Sensibility (a group show featuring a work by Jason Lazarus [above]), Rainbo Club, through Aug. 21.
• A lawsuit has been filed in Detroit over the removal of a Banksy mural, said to be worth $100K, by a nonprofit gallery.
• Francis Alÿs on his 10-year project filming inside sand tornadoes: "Going inside tornados is also quite addictive, so it’s hard to stop and say, 'That’s enough, it’s not going to get any better.'"
• Modern Art Notes' America’s Favorite Art Museum tournament is underway. Based on reader votes, two locals move on to the next round: The Walker was seeded at number 12 and the Minneapolis Institute of Arts at 38. The Walker moves on, having defeated MCA Chicago, and the MIA squeaked by the Nelson-Atkins.
• Hey look at this guy of the day: He's just poppin' balloons.