11.12.2006

Feingold won't run.

Wisconsin's Russ Feingold, in my opinion the Senate's most honorable and progressive member, announced this morning that he won't be seeking the Democratic nomination for a 2008 presidential run. While I'm disappointed he won't be in the race, I'm glad he'll be part of a Senate that can make real change come January. He writes:
...Like many Americans, I am excited by the results of the November 7th election. My fourteen years in the Senate have been the greatest privilege of my life and I am extremely pleased with what we have accomplished. During so much of that time, however, we Democrats have not only been in the minority but have often been so deeply mired there that my role has often been to block bad ideas or to simply dissent. That is a very important role but I relish the thought that in this new Congress we can start, not only to undo much of the damage that one-party rule has done to America, we can actually advance progressive solutions to such major issues as guaranteed healthcare, dependence on oil, and our unbalanced trade policies.

No comments: